12.27.2005

Happiness.

What would make you happy?

The answer to this deceptively simple question can be highly elusive, but most people will give roughly the same answer. "A lasting and worthwhile love. Enough money to bring me comfort. Children. A meaningful job. More money than I'll ever need."




Yeah. I don't buy that.




Each of those goals brings its own problems, and what's more, each of those goals conflicts in some way with all the others.

I'm still trying to figure out what would make me happy, but I do know one thing. I can't be happy if I'm being dragged down by a tangled web of demands upon my time, my energy and my will. So, for the last couple of years I've been systematically removing all demands upon my person. Some demands don't go away. I'll never be free from the needs of the flesh: Food, water, at least some clothing and shelter. Still, I am moving ever closer to what I consider a comfortable level of freedom.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track, but I'll never know unless I try.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol... so should I consider you a minimalist?

6:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home